Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Oh, Dr. Pepper, How I loathe (I mean love) you!

Raise your hand if you love Dr. Pepper!  If you could see me now, I would be one of those people that have my hand raised (I know I shouldn't, it is just plain bad for you with no nutrional value what.so.ever).  But, it is my favorite soda, and I can at least say I have come a long way and have cut back in how much soda I drink.  Anyways, my love for Dr. Pepper was close to coming to a halt and it could very well have if not for my husband.  You know those days you have, the ones where you have set out to do this, this, and this, and the day is going really well and then all of the sudden one "bad" thing happens and it pretty much erases your "good" day.  That one "bad" thing quickly puts you in a funk.  I recently read about a friend of mine who has topped my list with how many "bad" things happened in her day (hope you don't mind Tina for me referencing you).  You read about someone's day and you feel sympathy, but then you are just like, "Oh my goodness if I had that kind of day I would just cry or go hide in bed".  On the other hand, there is a part of you that also just wants to laugh because really now could your day get any worse!  And, I am so glad to see that this friend of mine did end up just being able to sit and laugh when these "bad" things just kept happening!  Even more great was to see a fellow friend of ours pointing out the "good" in some of her circumstances!
You see, I recently had the day where things were going good.  My day was manageable with the kids, I was excited because Rick was getting home early and we would be able to have more time to spend with him, we had figured out what was for supper (a frozen meal I had taken out of the freezer- hooray for me for taking the time to get more organized in the meal planning area) and all that was left to do was go somewhere and buy some Dr. Pepper so I could make up some sauce for the Dr. Pepper Spaghetti we were having for supper.  (That might sound gross, and I was skeptical at first, but wow, that spaghetti is good)!  So anyways, Rick said, "Let's walk up to Rutter's".  I said, "Okay".  But, the more I got thinking about it, we would be walking along busy roads, some without sidewalks, and I was feeling a little uneasy about that with Jaden. So, we decided we would walk up to a Turkey Hill by our house.  Well, we are doing good- children are dressed, Kya and Sierra are in their cars we push to take them on walks, Jaden is begging to push one of them, we are ready to go.  While we were in the store, the only thing that could have landed us in trouble was if we did not notice that Kya had managed to grab hold of an orange while we were paying and gathering up our drinks! Whew- good thing Rick caught that one!  We start walking back home and get everyone in the house.  Another successful and enjoyable walk for us.  I happily go along getting ready to make supper (and I am rather happy that it didn't require me to do anything other than making up a quick sauce for the spaghetti- I am loving this freezer cooking idea!). 
Well, I go to open up the Dr. Pepper and at this point some of you will have no problem guessing at this point what happened.  If you can't guess- just think soda and MOVEMENT. :)  Imagine my surprise when I opened up the top.  All that could be heard from the other room was a loud release of displeasure from me.  I.was.NOT.happy! Rick asked me what happened and I said, "I was not thinking this through when I decided it would be a good idea to go for a walk and carry a bottle of soda".  I was anything but loving Dr. Pepper at the moment.  In fact, I was about ready to throw the Dr. Pepper out (looking back really now- what did the Dr. Pepper do and all I can say is that Dr. Pepper had my husband to thank for not getting chucked in the trash can). :)  The Dr. Pepper was just waiting to be released- and released it was- all over my stove, my socks, my shorts, my legs, and the floor.   Rick came out and helped me clean up the Dr. Pepper and he says (and I must preface this by saying at the time I was not exactly receptive of his view on this, lol).  But, back to what he said, "You almost made it over to the gate and at least now we have a clean floor".  Yeah, you can ask him how I responded to that.  And after my response, his last response, was, "You complete me" (a long standing joke between him and me, meant to make me laugh- which I don't remember now if it did work or not).  I might add in the midst of this too, Jaden comes out and starts asking questions which added to my frustration.  A great reminder that man sometimes in the midst of my frustrations, I need to be more mindful that a more gentle approach needs to be given to him when I am in the midst of something frustrating and he is merely being curious or really does care that I am okay when something like this is going on. 
Looking back, how much we need a different perspective when things like this happen.  I have a husband who quickly ran to my aid.  In the midst of it, (I found it anything but funny), but he was trying to see the best in the situation.  And, though it tends to be a joke between Rick and I, he really does truly complete me.  When he can't see the good in a situation, I try to find the positive in it for him; likewise, he was doing the same for me. So, in the end, though that Dr. Pepper was not my most favorite soda at the time and it was close to being chucked in the trash can (at the risk of ruining supper- man I am glad Rick intervened!), looking back now I think a lot of times we need the right perspective on these kind of things.  If you look hard enough you can usually find at least one good thing in the midst of what one would look on as a "bad" thing.    Ha, ha, ha, and just now I saw the humor in this because this could eventually be a good Science lesson for Jaden (though I might leave that one for Rick and Jaden to do). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment